It’s sad to say but a lot of companies that offer services are going to hide the information because they know that’s a way that they can keep their clients coming back to them. But that’s not how we work at Albert Nahman Plumbing. We want to help you have the information that you need to clean and avoid stains from hard water.
What is Hard Water?
The term hard water’s used for describing fresh water that contains a lot of the natural minerals magnesium and calcium, as well as trace metals.
It’s not harmful to your health. However, it can cause issues in your appliances and plumbing, and a lot of homeowners think of it as a nuisance.
The minerals in the hard water leave spots on your glasses and dishes which can be hard to remove. Next, you’ll learn how to remove hard water stains.
Cleaning Stains from Hard Water
When you have a problem with hard water, you’re going to find a lot of stains on different surfaces. It can be hard and frustrating to clean hard water stains off of your favorite surfaces. Below are some tips based on the type of surface you’re cleaning.
- Glass – Wear eye protection and gloves and use an acidic cleaner. When you’re cleaning glass food surfaces, use salt water or vinegar. They both help when you’re cleaning hard water and there’s no worry about poisoning.
- Tile – Vinegar also will be helpful non-tile. Use white vinegar to saturate paper towels and use them to soak the area for eight hours minimum. Once that’s passed, use distilled water to rinse it and scrub gently with a cleaning pad that’s non-abrasive. For cleaning shower tile, simply take a shower.
- Toilets – Be gentle. Put on some gloves and sprinkle it with some all-purpose powdered cleaner. Then use drywall fine-grit sanding screen. Scrub in circles it just enough to clean it.
- Marble – Usually you can remove hard water spots using a cleaning product for marble and soft towel. You also can use grade #0000 steel wool and rub out the stain using circles.
Prevent Hard Water Problems with a Water Softener
One of the best things that you can do to help avoid problems with hard water is through buying a water softener. A water softener can help you in a lot of ways. Below are some of the reasons why a water softener is a good investment.
- Appliances will have longer lifespans
- It’s easier to clean
- It feels nicer to shower
- Clothes get cleaner
- Less shampoo and soap needed
- Use less energy
- Fewer plumbing problems
One of the most annoying things about hard water is the stains that are left on your glasses, porcelain, cups, and more. Wouldn’t it be nice to have things look clean when you clean them rather than having spots?
If you have found this article to be helpful, please share it with your friends and family. Spread the word about how everyone can combat the problems of hard water!