Fall is here, which means cold weather is just around the corner. Are you and your furnace ready? If you’ve been keeping up with your HVAC filters, that’s great, but now it’s time to call in an expert. A heating professional will be able to give the whole thing the once-over, performing the maintenance that will keep you from facing a heating crisis in the middle of winter. Calling the professionals to check and repair your system will also raise your energy efficiency, cutting down on repair bills, reducing your emissions, and extending the life of your system.
Every HVAC company has its own checklist of important maintenance tasks. Your contractor will inspect your entire system to make sure everything is in good working order, and then complete tasks such as
- Lubricating the moving parts of the system to prevent friction.
- Tightening electrical and gas connections.
- Inspecting the ventilation system to make sure there are no obstructions or damage
- Inspecting wires and terminals for corrosion, and applying nonconductive coating where needed.
- Testing the gas pressure and burner combustion to make sure they’re up to the system’s specifications.
- Checking for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Inspecting the blower assembly for optimum airflow.
- Cleaning the heat exchanger and inspecting it for damage like cracks or corrosion.
- Cleaning the blower assembly to make sure air is flowing properly.
- Measuring the voltage and current on the motor.
- Testing the controls of the system to ensure proper cycling.
- Inspecting the ductwork for loose joints that result in air loss.
- Checking the thermostat for accuracy.
Your HVAC professional will also be able to answer questions you may have about your system, as well as alerting you to any potential problems of which you need to be aware. You can do your part to get ready for winter, too. First, change out the batteries in your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. Then, make sure you’ve got enough filters to last you through the winter, and that you know the location of your home’s gas shutoff valve. Take a look at your furnace and clear anything away from it that might obstruct airflow or present a fire hazard. Finally, post the emergency number for your gas company and the number of a trustworthy heating company somewhere prominent, so that if you run into trouble during the winter months you’ll know exactly who to call.
At Albert Nahman Plumbing and Heating, we are passionate in our pursuit of safety, professionalism, and excellence in caring for our customers, co-workers, and community. That’s why this family-owned business has been around for 30 years, consistently delivering the customer satisfaction that’s earned us our superb reputation. A full-service plumbing company, we provide a wide range of services which include expert repairs to existing plumbing, water, gas, and sewage systems, copper piping, water main replacements, trenchless sewer replacements, and water heater installations. We also provide renovation services for kitchens, baths, and laundry rooms, to update the design or upgrade the energy efficiency. Contact us through our website or call (510) 876-9725 for more information on all we can do for you.