The holidays are a great time of the year to be celebrated with loved ones, but they can also be a lot of work. Whether you’re traveling to visit family or hosting your own gathering at home, there’s quite a bit that needs to be done. The holidays shouldn’t be a stressful time, and they don’t have to be with some careful planning ahead. Check out these tips for preparing your home before you go away for the holidays.
- Turn off the water supply – This is more important for holiday travel than it is for summer vacations. Cold temperatures could freeze pipes, and shutting off your home’s water can protect you against flooding or burst pipes. There’s no reason to turn off the water and it could save you thousands of dollars in potential damage.
- Check your sump pump – Heavy rain could be an issue if your sump pump fails, and you could return home to a flooded crawlspace or basement. Make sure it’s working by dumping a bucket of water into your sump pit. If the pump doesn’t start, call Albert Nahman Plumbing.
- Adjust the thermostat – You can turn down the thermostat, but don’t turn off the unit altogether. If your home gets too cold your pipes could freeze, and you want to keep some air circulating while you’re gone. You’ll be a bit cold when you arrive home but before long you’ll be nice and warm again.
- Set your water heater – Much like your home’s HVAC, you don’t want to turn off your water heater completely, just adjust it. If it has a vacation mode, it’s as simple as that. If not, lower it several degrees (10 to 20) to save money and energy while you’re away.
- Automate your lights – This tip won’t necessarily save you money, unless it prevents someone from breaking into your home. Automating your lights will make it appear as if someone is home while you’re away on vacation. You can purchase timers for lamps which typically cost less than $10 each. You can also use smart timers that you control with your smart phone from anywhere.
- Unplug your electronics – By unplugging electronic devices like TVs, computers, and more, you’ll save electricity and money while you aren’t home. Unplug any devices from wall plugs or switch off surge protectors. You’ll also be protected in case of a power surge while you’re on vacation.
Taking a few minutes to perform these tasks before you leave can save you money and give you increased peace of mind while you’re away. If your home’s plumbing or heating needs maintenance before or after your holiday vacation, contact the trusted professionals at Albert Nahman Plumbing by calling (510) 876-9725 .