How long have you had your water heater? The average lifespan of a water heater is about 15 years, but some of them chug on well past their expected expiration date. If yours is showing its age, look for these signs that it’s time to move on to a new one.
- It’s making weird noises. Sediment can build up in water heater tanks, causing banging or rumbling noises. Sometimes it’s no big deal, and your plumber can just remove the sediment. Other times, the amount of sediment is too large, and the water heater needs to be replaced.
- The fittings are corroded. Obviously, water heaters are designed with the understanding that they’ll be exposed to water and heat. However, over time water can still wear down certain parts of your water heater. If there are leaks around the valves or the pipework, corrosion is likely the culprit. Your plumber can help you decide whether this problem can be remedied by replacing the corroded parts, or if the water heater needs to go.
- There’s a lot of water leaking from the water heater. Is there a puddle by the water heater or water seeping down the sides of the unit? Your water heater may have cracked, and probably needs to be replaced to avoid water damage.
- There’s no hot water. Sometimes, you can’t seem to get your shower hot enough because your water heater settings are adjusted incorrectly. If your available hot water decreases suddenly, though, or you can’t seem to get the water hotter than lukewarm, you may need to invest in a new water heater.
- The water seems bad. If the water in your house has started looking rusty or muddy, or it smells or tastes bad, your water heater may be on the way out. Your plumber can help you determine if that’s the case, and can also tell you how to keep your next water heater from rusting.
- Do you feel like you’re always having to repair the water heater? A water heater is an investment, so of course, repairing it is the first step when something goes wrong. However, if it’s needed multiple repairs over the past two years, it’s probably time to move on.
If you’re looking for a reliable plumber, call Albert Nahman Plumbing and Heating. Passionate in the pursuit of safety, professionalism, and excellence in caring for our customers, co-workers, and community, our family-owned business has been around for 30 years, consistently delivering the customer satisfaction that’s earned us our superb reputation. A full-service plumbing company, we provide a wide range of services which include expert repairs to existing plumbing, water, gas, and sewage systems, copper piping, water main replacements, trenchless sewer replacements, and water heater installations, as well as renovation services for kitchens, baths, and laundry rooms. Contact us through our website or call (510) 876-9725 for more information on all we can do for you.