Differentiating Important From Urgent
Let’s set the scene: it is just a typical day in the neighborhood, and all of a sudden, there is an issue with some part of the plumbing system. Maybe it’s a leak or a backup; perhaps it’s just an unusual smell or something off about the water flow. Many homeowners have probably experienced plumbing-related issues before, but they are forced to ask themselves: is this just a minor issue or a major emergency?
This ultimately dictates the urgency with which they need to pursue professional help to solve the problem. Differentiating between important issues versus urgent issues will allow homeowners to address plumbing issues in the most practical, efficient, and effective manner.
Urgent: Pipe Breaks
- Damp spots and general water damage – leaks can occur from damaged pipes, which can also lead to significant mold growth
- Foul odors – depending on the location of the pipe break, there may be smelly leaking sewage, which one should address immediately
- Pressure fluctuations – changes in water pressure can strain pipe fittings in the home plumbing system
- Sharp sounds – with water pressure changes, pipes can make clanging noises behind the walls, which can lead to downstream breakages in other pipes in the plumbing system
- Water quality – rust particles from damaged pipes can diminish water quality and encourage bacterial growth
Pipe breaks are absolute emergencies because they create a domino effect by leading to other detrimental issues in the home. Homeowners must seek professional help immediately to mitigate damage and overall cost both to homeowners’ wallets as well as to their homes long-term.
Important: Toilet Clogs
Toilet clogs are a prevalent issue for most homeowners, but is it an emergency? Generally speaking, toilet clogs are important issues to address, but they do not necessarily require urgent professional help. Most times, homeowners can address toilet clogs themselves using a plunger or some DIY solvents like a mixture of baking soda and vinegar.
There are certain instances when toilet clogs can become urgent issues, like if the toilet overflows and causes water damage. But if homeowners address clogs in a reasonable amount of time, they should have few issues. In most cases, homeowners do not need to move with the urgency required with other more serious plumbing issues.
Urgent: Sewer Backups
Last but not least, the dreaded sewer backups. These are nasty and are most definitely urgent matters for which homeowners should seek immediate help. Sewer backups are emergent because they can lead to some of the following issues:
- Release of dangerous airborne contaminants
- Unpleasant backups into the home plumbing fixtures
- Water quality issues due to groundwater contamination
Any of these issues listed can be highly harmful to homeowners if left unaddressed for long periods. Homeowners should be able to identify sewer backups fairly quickly given the severity of the signs and, if identified, they should seek professional help immediately.
About Albert Nahman Services
Albert Nahman Services of Berkeley, CA is a family-owned and operated company providing high-quality solutions for 30 years. With the motto of “We Care, We Are Professional, We Are a Team,” they believe in friendly customer service, expert workmanship, and straightforward pricing and communication with each of their customers. Call them for plumbing help today!
Distribution Links +